Monday, February 7, 2011

LADY IN WAITING, by Susan Meissner


Lady in Waiting is the story of two Janes, separated by centuries. Jane Lindsay is an antiques dealer in Manhattan, comfortable in her twenty-two year marriage--until the day her husband leaves. Soon afterward, she discovers a jeweled ring in a shipment of antiques from England. The name inscribed inside the band is "Jane."
Jane Lindsay is captivated by her find, and here Lady in Waiting takes the reader to 16th century England and the life of Lady Jane Gray. At its heart, Lady in Waiting is a novel about the choices each Jane is forced to make. Both stories are fascinating. It’s hard to say which one I enjoyed most.
Meissner is a gifted author. I loved her earlier book, The Shape of Mercy, which also shifts between time periods. Her novels are a delight for both those who enjoy the skilled use of language,and anyone looking for an absorbing read.
I wholeheartedly recommend Lady in Waiting.

2 comments:

  1. I hope to read this one soon. I also enjoyed The Shape of Mercy. I read it, then listened to it on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Susan writes more books like this--I enjoy the switching back and forth between time periods.

    ReplyDelete

HOME BIO NOVELS NEWS BLOG PHOTOS BOOKSHELF CONTACT