Sunday, May 10, 2009

In Search of Eden, by Linda Nichols


The cover illustration for In Search of Eden shows a little girl, her face partly hidden. Is she the one being searched for, or is she the one doing the searching? A compelling picture, and the reason I picked this book up. The story didn't disappoint me!
In Search of Eden is the story of Miranda DeSpain and her quest to heal the pain inflicted on her as a teenager. That quest takes her to Abingdon, Virginia, where she becomes part of a community filled with warm, believable characters. Those characters are so well-drawn that I spent hours thinking about their lives after I finished the book.
Nichols tells Miranda's story through several points of view. She handles this often difficult plot device masterfully. By getting to know the people Miranda meets, the reader not only learns what's in their hearts, but sees Miranda's many qualities as well--qualities Miranda herself fails to acknowledge. The many threads of the plot come together in a page-turning conclusion that left me smiling but sorry the story had ended.I liked In Search of Eden so much that I turned back to the beginning and read parts of it again. 
In Search of Eden won a well-deserved ECPA medallion of excellence. If you've read it, I'd love to hear from you. We can share our thoughts on the discussion questions, especially #9.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

HOME BIO NOVELS NEWS BLOG PHOTOS BOOKSHELF CONTACT