Tuesday, August 6, 2013

BURNING SKY, by Lori Benton


 "I am the place where two rivers meet, silted with upheaval and loss."

These lines from the opening epigraph grabbed me and drew me into Burning Sky. The story didn't let me go until the last satisfying paragraph. "Burning Sky" is the Mohawk name given to Willa Obenchain when she was abducted at the age of fourteen. Tragedy returns her to her family's homestead after twelve years of building a life with the Mohawk people.
 Upon reaching the boundary of her father's property, Willa discovers an injured Scotsman. She feels obligated to nurse him back to health and in so doing finds him to be a kind and caring man. Where many of her former neighbors turn their backs on her because of the years she spent with the Mohawks, the Scotsman displays no such condemnation.
 Her life takes another twist upon the arrival of the Mohawk who was her tribal brother during her captivity. Willa is truly at the place "where two rivers meet."
 Burning Sky swept me into the world of our country's earliest days as an independent nation. With Burning Sky, Benton has penned one of the best books I've read in many months. This novel will go on my "keeper" shelf to be re-read again and again.
 I thoroughly recommend Burning Sky. Two thumbs way up!

 My thanks to the author and Waterbrook Press for my review copy.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this review, Ann! I'm so happy to know Willa is a keeper for you. ♥

    ReplyDelete

HOME BIO NOVELS NEWS BLOG PHOTOS BOOKSHELF CONTACT