Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I STILL DREAM ABOUT YOU, by Fannie Flagg


As the still-beautiful former Miss Alabama, Maggie Fortenberry has come to a decision point in her life. Everything that she loved about her hometown of Birmingham is gradually being replaced by strip malls, big box retailers, and cookie-cutter mini-mansions. I Still Dream About You is a life-affirming story about growing older and maturing--not always the same thing. There's also a mystery involved, which resolves in a way that surprised me.
Peopled with characters you'll wish lived in your hometown (well, except for one of them), I Still Dream About You is a delightful story written with Flagg's trademark humor and insight. For example, here's a terrific quote from page 97: "They say envy is a coal that comes hot and hissing straight from hell." What a great word picture.
I Still Dream About You was recommended to me by a friend, and in turn I recommend it to you. Maggie is a heroine who is easy to relate to and love. I hated to see the story end. It's definitely a book I’ll read again just to savor the details.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

HOME BIO NOVELS NEWS BLOG PHOTOS BOOKSHELF CONTACT